“I am falling for him” says Maya, jumping with all excitement.
“Maya, Are you mad?” says Naina, angrily.
“Why! What’s wrong?!” says Maya.
“You just got out of a relationship a month back, Dude!” says Naina.
“I know that Naina, but how does it matter?” says Maya, swinging her arms in air.
“OH GOD! Nothing” says Naina, rolling her eyes.

Naina leaves with a frown face, and Maya have no clue what has happened.

Maya, 17years old, is NOT one of those, who think over what she is doing. She is free-spirit, down to earth, very friendly, and catchy for every eye that passes by her. For her no person is bad, and nothing is bad until she doesn’t feel so. Things are simple for her and she doesn’t mind when people around her say “she always stays in her dream-land”, to which Maya replies “That’s what makes me.”
On other hand, Naina, who is of same age of Maya, is like exactly those who think before doing anything. She never does anything against her RULES. From choosing a pen to looking for guys, everything has a list of what to choose and what not to choose.
Born and brought up together, lived in same apartment and same colony for years, Maya and Naina are completely different from each other.

(Same day in the evening)

Maya: (Texts to Naina) Arre! Please talk na! I know that it hasn't been long me breaking up with Anil, and I know I should wait before getting into another. But how does it matter! He must surely be having fun in life, then why shouldn’t I?

Naina: (She calls her up) Maya, at least now stop being a kid! We are grown up. Who are you fooling? I know every bit about what happened between you and Anil. You didn’t dump him nor was it anything like you said to me, the day you broke up “Yaar, He wasn’t my type you see “Very cheesy.” I know you had sex with him and just because he didn't find you HOT enough on bed, he left you.

Maya: Oh hello! It’s nothing like that. Who told you all this crap?

Naina: Whole school is talking about it darling. Your Mr.Right would have spread the word around.

Maya: It is nothing like that. Do not lie. I know you are mad that’s why you are trying to pull my leg. But I won’t admit, keep trying.

Naina: Oh please! Try this somewhere else. You can’t hide anything in your stomach, whole world for you is good and you trust every other person.

Maya: What is wrong with you? Is it wrong to be friendly?

Naina: Absolutely not! But being stupid is.

Maya: Okay fine! If you have so many problems then let’s not talk anymore and forever. I have other friends to hang out with.

Naina: Ya! Go to them and never come back. I am sick and tired of you, and your stupidity.

(Naina, in anger, cancels the call. Maya keeps thinking about Naina whole night.)

Next day, Naina watches Maya with her “New friends” and Maya ignores her presence around. After a month, and 2 months after the breakup of Maya with her boyfriend; she stopped having her periods. Extremely worried and freaked out, Maya rushes to Naina for help.

(At 5pm in the evening.)

Maya: Aunty, is Naina home?

Aunty: No beta, she has not returned yet from her tuition.

Maya: Aunty, Please tell her to call me as soon as possible.

Aunty: Haanji. Sure.

Maya comes back to her home. She keeps waiting for Naina’s call. But Naina didn't call her back. Next morning at school, Maya barges in the classroom and holds Naina by her shoulder and says “I need your help, Naina. Please! Please! Listen to me.”

Naina: Why should I? Don’t you have your new friends?

Maya: They are not my friends with whom I have spent my whole childhood. They weren't there for me when I broke up and was crying nights and days, because my heart broke.

Naina: You showed me attitude, right! Now pay for that. Forget it.

Maya: Please, Naina!(Literally begging her)

Naina leaves without listening to Maya and Maya rushes to washroom and cries her lungs out. Meanwhile Maya’s new friends try to console her and tell her how Naina was being a bitch and they can help her out with whatever problem she had. Maya, as had habit of trusting people easily, trusts these new friends.

Maya: It’s like really big problem.

One of the girls from Maya’s new friends group: It’s okay yar, you can tell us.

Maya: Yaar I am not having periods since 2 months.

Maya’s new friend: WHAT! Did you have sex with your X-boyfriend?

Maya: (feeling hesitant to tell) Umm, Yes.

Maya’s new friend: Are you mad? Is this age for this thing? 
                              Did he jerk inside you?
Maya: I don’t know. He did use condom though.

Maya’s new friend: Oh my god! You can be pregnant!

Maya: (Horrified) you are kidding, right?

Maya’s new friend: Dude! I am not kidding. You should get yourself checked, as soon as possible.

Maya: But how? If my parents get to know this, I am killed.

Maya’s new friend: There is home test too, you can get it to school, we will help you with it.

Maya: Thank god! I will get it tomorrow. Please help me.

Maya’s new friend: Yes. Sure.

Next day, as soon as Maya enters the classroom, she finds everyone staring at her and talking about her in low voice. Unable to figure out, Maya walk towards Naina and ask her “What is it? Why I am being stared?”

Naina: I don’t talk to your type girl.

Maya: What do you mean?

Naina: You know what? Your so called new friends told every one of us that you are a bloody “Prostitute” and going to be pregnant.

Maya: That’s not true Naina.(Trying to stop her)

Naina: Get away from me, you bitch.

Maya, all shattered, was quiet and left with no words. She goes to the washroom and looks at herself into the mirror and thinks “Am I a prostitute, just because I trusted Anil and had sex?”
Ignoring the thought, she checks herself through the home-pregnancy test. And it turns out to be Positive. Maya, in her weirdest dream also never thought something like this would happen to her. Same moment Maya’s SO CALLED friends enters the washroom.

Maya: You bitches, I trusted you and this is what you have done?

Maya’s new friend: Love, you roam like a candy of every guy and no one looks at us. What about that? We just wanted a chance to defame you and you yourself have given us this opportunity.

Maya: (Angry and broken) Shut the fuck up!

Maya’s new friend: Let’s leave her alone. We have done what all we could. Now let her bark, because that is all she can do.

Maya: Fuck off, right away!

Maya falls on ground and cries like never before. Her face was, as red as blood. She was choking and breathless and mid of this entire thing, she could only remember one thing that how Naina always, always told her to take every step thinking about the consequences and how she always ignored everything, to be herself, to be free. Now, when being free has costed her everything, her friend, her life, her family reputation, her own reputation, everything, she thought to herself “Nothing has left to do now, Maya. You know what to do now.”
She comes out of washroom, sneaks out from everyone’s view, and climbs the stairs towards the terrace of her school.  Frightened and worried, Maya thinks about her life back then, when she never had to think and feel guilty about things she did, when her friend Naina, was there for her 24/7. And then things that spoiled it all.
Taking deep breath, she climbs up the railing and jumps off it. As soon as, she fells on ground, she loses her life. In just few seconds, Maya was, LATE Maya.
Soon, whole school surrounds Maya’s body. Naina, rushes to Maya, holds her head in her hands and weeps like a part of her soul has gone away, and says “I am sorry, Maya”.


 Photo Courtesy: 
 Google 


Comments

  1. You made me feel Maya and her agony...
    Wonderfully written.. I could connect with what Maya went through..
    Hats off.. Remarkable work done Kameshwari :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Yishu Katyal, I am glad I could TAKE YOU THERE.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happily ever after.

It was all about sex

A beautiful liar